What are these hairline cracks on my plaster?
Not severe damage, but something to be worried about - hairline splits appear gradually and expand in the future. So what are these cracks?
Look at your walls, and you may find minute breaks and gaps in between. Although these gaps may not be so vast, but really tiny
to be seen clearly from a distance. Check out these minor splits on the surface. What to look for?
- They are visible enough and are 3/16 inches or broader in the gap.
- You find something odd with one side of the wall that seems higher than the other.
- The doors have difficulty in closing and opening within the wall frame.
Once you have found it, all you need to do is ring Magic View Decorating services at our given details.What causes hairline cracks in plaster?
- Usually, it occurs due to seasonal changes in the weather. These shifts in nature tend to weaken the plaster. Sometimes excessive rain and damp weather encourage newer clefts.
- Seldom a new plaster surface is not dried properly after the construction, and this negligence later leads to forming more chinks and gaps on the surface.
- Another cause may be the maintenance and painting of the walls, which you probably have been avoiding for a long time. If you are searching for professional painting and decorating services, then contact us right away.
- A weak foundation plays an integral part in filling your plaster walls with gaps and cracks. This happens due to low-quality construction materials used while building the walls.
What does Magic View do to hairline cracks in plaster?
1. Once we find out the damaged area, we widen the gap by about ⅛ of an inch. This step is conducted in order to fix small splits.
2. Later we brush off the dust and debris around the gap. Next up, we need to clean the parts with a wall cleaner or a water-based solution.
3. Then we mix and apply a joint compound on the hairline cracks on the plaster wall
(a gypsum-based mixture that helps you fill the slits) with a putty.
4. We take a joint tape and stick it on the compound filled crack. Then leave the surface to dry off naturally.
5. The above steps are repeated if at all needed. Then we apply the paint onto the surface.
6. Later, an application of latex primer is recommended so that the paint coating adheres to the wall and does not come off quickly.
These are the basic six steps that we follow with utmost precision, while please note that bigger gaps need much more complex steps. Book our services for the best professional painting and home renovation assistance.